Mar 17, 2015

#BOYCOTTDOLCEGABBANA - What's the matter?



So from yesterday not only fashion portals are covered with articles about the next scandal concerning Dolce & Gabbana. The Guardian, Telegraph, People, CNN, Time, USA Today, Huffington Post, BBC and many others have written volubly about the issue. The designers duo's conflict with Elton Jon resulted in an action called by the latter #BoycottDolceGabbana. So what it's all about?

It's about the interview with the founders of Dolce & Gabbana which was published in Italian magazine Panorama. In their responses, the designers hit people like Elton John and his husband, David Furnish, parents to little boys Zachary and Elijah born by in vitro fertalization, and they dit it doubly. First of all, the music star took exception to the part in which the duo says about being against INF: No chemical offsprings and rented uterus: Life has a natural flow, there are things that should not be changed, I call children of chemistry, synthetic children. Uteri [for] rent, semen chosen from a catalog. The designer duo objected not only INF, but also same-sex adoption: We oppose gay adoptions. The only family is the traditional one.; You are born to a mother and a father – or at least that's how it should be. John he got furious and tweeted:



The musician encourages his friends and fans to join in the fun. Exhortation to boycotting Dolce & Gabbana may seem (and was called by many people) childish, but I can understand those who decided to concur the musician. I don't know how about you, but I've heard there's something like mother love and motherliness, which can be stronger than all other feelings. Apparently it applies to fathers, too. Perez Hilton tweeted:


There are many others celebrities boycotting D&G. By Sunday afternoon the hashtag #BoycottDolceGabbana had been used more than 14,000 on Twitter by the supporters of John's view. Tennis star Martina Navratilova has posted a tweet saying: My D&G shirts are going in the bin — don't want ANYONE to wear them. Look at some others opinions:

Dolce & Gabbana's PR my be ok, but Gabbana's own Public Relations strategy doesn't keep up well. While encouraging people to stop buying clothes made by th eduo  may be considered as immature, just read what the designer had done. Below John's Instagram post, the Italian called the music star or/and his caption: fascist. He quickly deleted the comment, but nothing will escape watchful Instagrammers' notice. On Sunday, Gabbana posted a collage including some of Elton John's photos and captioned it this way: #boycottdolcegabbana because is different! And you hate the different opinion!! Racist Dictators freedom to speak. Later, he flooded his Instagram accound with screenshots of messages or comments of Dolce & Gabbana's suporters in this conflict. I've counted more than fifty (!) posts on the topic.



The day after the duo or Gabbana himself reconsidered his online behaviour and decided to issue an official statement: We firmly believe in democracy and the fundamental principle of freedom of expression that upholds it. We talked about our way of seeing reality, but it was never our intention to judge other people's choices. Domenico Dolce added: I'm Sicilian and I grew up in a traditional family, made up of a mother, a father and children. I am very well aware of the fact that there are other types of families and they are as legitimate as the one I've known. But in my personal experience, family had a different configuration....I was talking about my personal view, without judging other people's choices and decisions. In addition, Gabbana sought to discredit reports saying that he and Dolce told the magazine that they objected to same-sex adoption.  And that's interesting, because...

Apparently, the Italian forgot that what was published once, won't be forgotten or...is easy to sought out. In 2006, in an interview for English Dailymail, he unburdened himself about his desire of having offspring and the obstacles. I want my own child, a biological child, the fruit of my sperm, conceived through artificial insemination because it wouldn't make sense for me to make love to a woman I don't love; The person I love today is my partner so I am looking for a civilised and refined woman. A week ago I asked a dear friend of mine, who is twelve years younger than me, if she would help.; I asked her 'Would you like to be the mother of my child ?' She was left a bit shocked and the following day telephoned and said she was still shocked but thought it was a great idea. But later he added: I am opposed to the idea of a child growing up with two gay parents. Then, there's Dolce, who is a practising Catholic and talks frequently about his faith. In this case, it's hard to pretend to be for marriage equality.

Here's what I think about the issue. The designer's words were cruel, intolerant to different life choices, disrespectful. They presented the dehumanization of test-tube babies. Synthetic children? INF is not about synthetic. It's about connecting sperm cells with egg cells, like a typical fertillzation, just outside a woman's body. And that's all. Where's the scary story? Gay activitist Peter Tatchell told the Guardian: If they don’t want to be parents that’s fine, but it’s deeply insulting to disparage the many same sex parents who have brought up children happily and successfully and I agree with his point of view. I feel there's also the validity in the declamation of Ruth Hunt, the chief executive of Stonewall (LGBT equality group), who talks actually not only about this issue, but the whole discussion about same-sex adoption:  We strongly dispute the comments made by Dolce and Gabbana. Being a good parent has nothing to do with sexual orientation or whether a child has two mums or two dads. The important thing is a loving family, whatever its make up. Dolce told the magazine that procreation must be an act of love. If so, what is wrong with gay couples having children? Gabbana and Dolce used to be a couple, now we can see that apparently they weren't in love. To my mind, there are also some inaccuracies in the duo's dictums. Dolce's said: A child needs a mother and a father. I could not imagine my childhood without my mother. I also believe that it is cruel to take a baby away from its mother.  Wait, wait, wait. Who is talking about taking a child away from the mother? Or at least, who is talking about taking it away from a woman who actually wants the child?



On the other hand, there's something called the freedom of speech which I greatly believe in. I allow people to have their own opinions and I want them to allow me to have mine. I'll say more, I love when people have their own points of view. Tolerance is crucial and I strongly agree with Voltaire saying: I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. But it doesn't change the fact, that Dolce's and Gabbana's words were cruel to both parents and INF people who become more and more numerous. We have to think twice what is of crucial importance - the freedom of speech or respect towards fellow men and care for their feelings. Maybe sometimes it would be better to keep your opinions to yourself if it's highly possible, they can be hartful. 

When we can argue endlessly about who is right in the #boycottdolcegabbana issue, it's an undoubtedly interesting case. You must admit that the appearance of homosexuals against same-sex marriage or adoption is quite unusual. Especially, if it's Dolce & Gabbana. Why? Tatchell, who also started boycotting the duo told the Guardian: It’s quite outrageous that two gay fashion designers who have relied on the gay community for much of their success are opposing gay equality. They’re lining up with the Pope and the far right in their support for legal discrimination.  

It seems like the designer's outlooks develop, well, season by season. If you're at least a bit interested in fashion, you must've heard about the duo's latest collections, devoted to Sicily, family and motherhood. The advertising campaign for the present season, spring-summer 2015, features lovely grandmothers with grandsons. Then, the last womenswear collection, Viva la Mamma was presented by pregnant Bianca Balti and models with their own children among others. There are some tweets about the involvement between their latest shows and the issue with Elton John. However I liked these collections and the above advertising campaign, I now agree with Susie Bubble. Apparently, fashion bloggers say something wise from time to time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Can't wait to read your comment.